Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bocelli Fascination

Gru, from the movie, Despicable Me, says the phrase "Light bulb!" every time he gets a good idea.  Wile E. Coyote also used the phrase "Light bulb!", only his came as the image of a light bulb floating over his head whenever a new great idea came to him.  In each case, it seemed, a light bulb bubble appeared over his head immediately preceding the arrival of another ACME crate.  We have "Light bulbs!" too; however, around here "Light bulb!" has come to mean a discovery rather than simply an idea.  Just a couples nights ago, Phil had another "Light bulb!" moment.  And it had to do with Andrea Bocelli. 

Recently, Phil discovered Andrea Bocelli's rendition of The Lord's Prayer, sung with The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  He can't get enough of it.  He listens to it at least once a day (usually it's more like 4-5 times).  Well, the other day, Gabe started having a fit - crying, flailing, whining, not wanting to eat, not able to sleep, crawling back and forth around the room. In desperation, I handed him to Phil, who, of course, was listening to/watching Bocelli on his laptop.  I went into the kitchen to do the dishes for a little break, but before I was able to turn on the faucet, I heard. . . no crying.  Only singing.  I looked over at our chair in the corner, and a picture-perfect Gabe was sitting in Phil's lap, entranced with Andrea Bocelli and MoTab.  He sat there for the whole song!  And, after the song was over. . . he was calm!  And quiet!  And ready for a nap! LIGHT BULB! Phil says it's because Gabe appreciates good music :)

I was skeptical about using our new tool again, wondering if it was just a one-time deal.  But, yesterday morning, Gabe was having a cow while I was doing my hair. I'd already exhausted my usual list of distractions: toys, brush, make-up bag, nose sucker, fingernail clippers, wire whisk, water bottle, books, snacks, washable markers, duct tape, etc...), so I brought my laptop into the bathroom and Light Bulb!  It worked again! 

In the spirit of November, let's all be grateful for Andrea Bocelli.  This is a "Light bulb!" that we'll definitely be using in the future.

1 comment: