Monday, March 4, 2013

Really Stupid Virus

An epidemic has exploded through Kirksville. It seems like every child under the age of two has been infected with RSV in the last couple months.  I'd heard of it before, knew what it was - it's not exactly rare.  But, this year, RSV has become the common cold. And, it hit our house this last week.  I think we have 1-2 more days left of incubation, and then finally, finally we will be able to emerge from our snowed-in hovel, slightly more pale and exceedingly more restless than we were a week ago.

Rubi was the infected one. It started out as just a cough. A nasty one, but still just a cough. So, I was surprised when the doctor decided to test her for RSV. It stayed a cough for a couple days, and then she started throwing up. I can't tell you how many blankets and sheets and onesies I've washed the last five days. Then, Saturday, she really looked ill. Phil claims that she didn't have a fever because the thermometer said 98.6, but I maintain my argument that our thermometer is broken, always has been, and that poor Rubi was burning up. Either way, it was clear that she did not feel well. She would barely move her body, would go limp when I held her, and would whimper any time she was awake. Luckily, it was short lived, and she seems to be doing much better.  Still washing sheets, though!

I would like to say that Gabe made it through unscathed, and although he hasn't been sick at all, he's had to suffer the torture of being a home-body for the last week, and having a mom who's run out of fun ideas to do indoors.

This was us pretty much every day. My spot was in the middle.



Major bed head. We didn't even care. Pjs all day too.


Here's Rubi's make-shift elevated bed on the couch.


Gabe and I have been doing a lot of this:


I've decided I enjoy playdough more than Gabe. And, for those of you unfamiliar with the Cyrillic alphabet in playdough, the bottom one says "Gabe" too. You have to get creative when it's the third time that you've  gotten the playdough out in one day.

We also have been doing a lot of this:


One day I'll do a blog post about Gabe the chef. He's actually pretty helpful in the kitchen, and it's one of the only activities that will sustain his interest longer than 10 minutes.

And, here's one I snapped of Rubi while she was feeling well.


Here's wishing good health to everyone else!

2 comments:

  1. Poor little Rubi! I'm glad she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry about the illness! i hope they get better and that they don't get sick again!

    ReplyDelete